- A minimum of four 3- or 4-credit courses totaling 12 or more credits that are designated as honors courses, with a grade of C or better; these could include departmental honors offerings and interdisciplinary honors seminars. Please note: this requirement cannot be satisfied with honors research credits (courses taken for departmental honors/senior honors theses).
- A minimum of one Honors Colloquium, preferably in the student's first year as a member of the SAS Honors Program. A second Honors Colloquium or an alternative chosen from the following:
1. Taking a Byrne Seminar (First-year students only)
2. Taking an Honors section of an SAS Signature Course (when offered)
3. Studying abroad on a program for which a student receives Rutgers credit
4. Serving as a Peer Instructor for a FIGS course
- Proficiency in a foreign language through the intermediate level (effective for students entering Fall 2009 as members of Class of 2013 or later). All courses used for the SAS Honors Program Foreign Language Proficiency Requirement must be completed with a letter grade of C or better. Click here for information regarding the Foreign Language Proficiency Requirement.
- A Capstone of at least 6 credits (minimum of 3 credits per semester) typically completed in the senior year. The Capstone involves a substantial writing/research component consistent with the norms of the discipline. Students are encouraged to complete a research or special academic project prior to, and as preparation for, the Capstone. Click here for information regarding the Capstone.
1) By the end of the second year in the program, an Honors Program student must have:
- Completed either two Honors Colloquia or one Honors Colloquium and one of the available alternate options. (Note: for the FIGS Supervision and Study Abroad options, a plan must have been discussed and be on file with the Honors Program Main Office)
- Completed two Honors courses (Honors Seminars or department-based honors courses)
- Shown progress on completion of the Foreign Language Proficiency Requirement
If a student fails to complete these requirements, the student will be placed on Honors Program Academic Progress Warning.
2) By the start of a student’s senior year, a student must have completed all SAS Honors requirements except the Capstone Requirement.
Failure to complete the requirements as noted above will result in Academic Progress Dismissal from the program.
Current first year students and all future students are required to abide by # 1 and #2 above.
Current sophomores are required to abide by #2 above.
While the SAS Honors Program will not place current SASHP juniors who have outstanding Honors Program requirements on Academic Progress Warning, we strongly urge all SASHP juniors to keep this Academic Progress Policy in mind when selecting courses for Spring 2014 and after.
Please contact your Honors Program dean to discuss any questions you may have about this policy, or about completing the Honors Program requirements.