Welcome to the 2009 Summer Reading Program!
Each year, our SAS Honors Program faculty, staff, and students work together to choose a book for new SASHP students to read over the summer. We are pleased to announce that this year’s book is The Last Town on Earth by Thomas Mullen.
In July and August, you will begin a conversation about the book with faculty, staff and students on our SASHP Summer Reading Blog. At SAS Honors Orientation on Friday, August 28, 2009, we will have a lecture, book-signing, and reception with Mr. Thomas Mullen. The Last Town on Earth will also be the basis for the Fall 2009 Honors Colloquium course.
1. All new SAS Honors Program students are required to read The Last Town on Earth.
2. All new SAS Honors Program students must participate in our SASHP Summer Reading Blog https://sakai.rutgers.edu/portal. New SASHP students are required to post a minimum of two comments in July and two comments in August. Additional details about the Summer Reading Program will be sent to students in June. (Please note: Students must have a Rutgers NetID and Rutgers email account to participate in the Summer Reading Blog. Incoming SASHP students can create a Rutgers NetID and email in the Enrollment Pathway.)
Previous Summer Reading Books
- The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien
- Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich
- The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
- Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder
- The Six Questions of Socrates by Christopher Phillips
- Three Cups of Tea: One Man’s Mission to Promote Peace…One School at a Time by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin.