Welcome to the 2008 SUMMER READING PROGRAM!
Each year, our SAS Honors Program faculty, staff, and students work together to choose a book for the incoming class to read over the summer. We are pleased to announce that this year’s book is Three Cups of Tea: One Man’s Mission to Promote Peace…One School at a Time by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin.
Three Cups of Tea is the inspiring true story of Greg Mortenson’s transformation from mountain climber to international philanthropist. As his story illustrates, finding your life’s work can be a circuitous and, sometimes, arduous path. Often an unexpected event becomes the origin of success. While we don’t expect you to almost freeze to death while at Rutgers University (our residence halls have a good heating system), we do hope that you will, like Mr. Mortenson, actively seek out new challenges and explore new ideas during college. We are confident that your experience at Rutgers University will help you will discover a rewarding career that capitalizes on your intelligence, talents, and passions. Three Cups of Tea also reflects Rutgers University’s strong commitment to global issues and human rights. It illustrates our connection to all people and urges us to work together to ensure that our planet’s future is bright.
In July and August, you will begin a conversation about the book with faculty, staff and students on our Summer Reading Blog. At Honors Orientation on Friday, August 29, 2008, you will discuss the book with a small group of faculty and students. In the evening, we will have a dinner, lecture and book-signing with David Oliver Relin. Mr. Relin will speak to us about his experience writing the book and as an international journalist. Three Cups of Tea: One Man’s Mission to Promote Peace…One School at a Time will also be the basis for the Fall 2008 Honors Colloquium course.
1. All incoming Honors Program students are required to read Three Cups of Tea: One Man’s Mission to Promote Peace…One School at a Time.
2. All incoming Honors Program students must participate in our Summer Reading Blog https://sakai.rutgers.edu/portal. You are required to post a minimum of one comment in July and two comments in August.
Additional Resources and Information
Greg Mortenson’s Website: http://www.gregmortenson.com/
Central Asia Institute: http://www.ikat.org/
Three Cups of Tea: http://www.threecupsoftea.com/
Pennies for Peace: http://www.penniesforpeace.org/home.html
Previous Summer Reading Books
- The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien
- Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich
- The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
- Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder
- The Six Questions of Socrates by Christopher Phillips