To graduate with the designation of “SAS Honors Scholar” an SAS Honors Program student must complete a set of requirements, one of which is the Capstone.
We strongly encourage students to complete their capstone in their senior year. Certain circumstances may warrant students to begin their capstone in their junior year. These students should speak with their Honors Dean to discuss their plans
Students are encouraged to begin thinking about plans for the Capstone no later than spring of the Junior year. A good preparation for the Capstone (particularly for students planning to write a thesis) is Introduction to the Thesis, a 1-credit course (01:090:391, 392). This course can be taken in the fall or spring of a student's Junior year.
For all options, work completed to satisfy the Capstone Requirement:
- Must be carried out over two semesters, and must total a minimum of 6 credits (3 credits per semester). Six credits completed in one semester is not permitted.
- Must involve a substantial, sustained, and original writing/research component
- Must include a bibliography of the relevant scholarly literature
- Must be supervised by an approved faculty advisor
ATTENTION JUNIORS: All SASHP juniors are required to submit the SAS Honors Program Online Capstone Form by Friday, April 13, 2018.
Note: Submission of the SAS Honors Program Online Capstone Form is required in addition to any paperwork required by a department or program for each of the options below.
- Institutional Review Board
- Capstone Option A: Departmental Honors Listing
- Capstone Option A & B: Thesis Guide
- Capstone Option C: Graduate Course Request Form
- Capstone Online Options C, D, E: Sample Scholarly Analytic Reports