Conflict and Convivencia: Spain's Three Cultures, Madrid, Cordoba, Toledo
Travel Dates: Friday, May 20, 2016 - Friday, May 27, 2016
Class Meeting Times: See dates below, 35 College Avenue Room 102, College Avenue Campus
Program Costs: $1,508
Course Number: 01:959:194, 1 credit
The field experience will take students to visit Christian, Muslim and Jewish historical sites in Spain. The field experience will begin in Madrid with a visit to the Archeological Museum of Madrid and a walking tour of historic Madrid. There will be a rail trip to Segovia, where we will explore the connections of Roman and Jewish history, narratives of the expulsion and visit a Jewish cemetery. Our second rail trip will be to Toledo, Christian Spain and visit the HQ of the Catholic Church in Spain since the Visigoth time. We then take a trip south to Cordoba and Seville to visit the Muslim sites and walk the streets of Muslim stronghold in Spain. In 1492, the Jews were expelled and Christians conquered Muslim Granada (but did not yet expel the Muslims from all of Spain).
Requirement reading: A Vanished World: Medieval Spain's Golden Age of Enlightenment by Christopher Lowney
Film Screening: Cities of Light: The Rise & Fall of Islamic Spain, a two-hour documentary
Course Requirement: Participation in the eight day field experience to the Spain. Students will be assigned before the trip Historical sites, leaders, Philosophers to research and they, the students, will lead the discussion at the sites.
Three short response (250 words) one on Muslim site, one on a Christian site, one on a Jewish site. A five page paper on the ideas encountered in the readings, film and field experience.
Meetings: Two meetings before the field experience and two meeting after we come.
1) First meeting: Overview and frame work of field experience, Friday, April 29, 2016 at 3:30pm-4:50pm
2) Second meeting: screening of Film, Friday, May 6, 2016, at 3:30pm-4:50pm
3) Third meeting: Discussion on field experience, TBA
4) Fourth meeting: “Best ideas” from the field trip presented by the students. The format for the presentations will be a modified version of the international Pecha Kucha standard: (see http://www.pecha-kucha.org/). TBA.
* There are 15 available spaces. Please apply early.