Want to make the most of your tutoring experience? Follow these steps for academic success:
- Go to class, talk to your professor, and attend office hours to discuss any problems you might be having in the course. Tutoring is meant to supplement instruction—not take the place of your class.
- Arrive at your tutoring session a few minutes early and check-in with the Learning Center’s staff. If you cannot attend your session, be sure to cancel it in Penji and/or contact your tutor.
- Be positive! Learning new or challenging material can be stressful at first, but remaining positive allows you to fully concentrate on the task at hand.
- Take an active role in your learning. Come to the tutoring session prepared with your class notes, textbook, and any necessary tools (e.g., calculator, pencil, pen).
- Ask questions—lots of them! A tutor is not a lecturer, and collaborative environments are often the most successful ones for learning.